Thursday, February 21, 2008

"Aleutian Sparrow" poem

My heart aches for the comfort, the love, and the joy of home.
How I long to hear the way mine and Pari's laughter crackled over the winter fire like sugar frosting and the way our skin smelled after a day gathering wildflowers in the summer hills.
How I long to walk across the backs of salmon with Eva and Alfred, with our nets glistening in the moonlight as the salmon splash water diamonds into the air.
How I long to feel the fierce wind as it play the grass like a tempest of green violions, the hear the waves crash againist the rocks raging like lions, to see the sun emerge from the gallopping clouds, to feel the rain one moment and see a rainbow arching over a volcano the next.

I do not understand this harsh treatment, the manner of this camp. Why were we taken from our homes? Questions pour from my heart as the summer rain falls from heavy clouds. Why are we treated like prisoners? We are citizens of this country, not prisoners. The deer has more freedom that we do! Why can't a doctor come to help those who are sick? Most importantly, when can we go home?
All I know is that I have reason yet to be thankful for I am alive aren't I? Even here, my prayers reveal a thousand realms to be grateful for another day, though it may be filled with pain and sorrow or hope and joy.

No comments: