Sunday, April 6, 2008

Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest


Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest
Written and Illustrated by Steve Jenkins
Houghton Mifflin Company, 1998
Picture Book, Informational Text 2-5

Wow! The facts presented in this book are absolutely amazing and can teach any age! Readers are taken to places in the world that they can imagine what life is like here. In the beginning of the book, Steve Jenkins says, "There are deserts that haven't seen rain for thousands of years, and jungles where it pours every day. There are places so cold that even in the summer it's below freezing and spots where its often hot enough to cook an egg on the ground. There are mountains many miles high and ocean trenches that are even deeper. You can find rivers thousands of miles long and waterfalls thousands of feet high." I believe that this is a great way to attract reader's attention! They will want to learn more and find out where these places are!

This book made me feel so small! In learning about these amazing natural wonders on Earth, I can not help be reminded of the great God who created this beautiful and breathtaking creation.

I was reminded of a time when I went with my family to vacation in Wyoming. We went atop Mount Washburn and I could see mountains all around me for as far as my eyes could see. To the distance in the right, I could see rain and lightening falling from the clouds. To the left, I could see patches of sunlight shining through the clouds, pouring light on certain spots on the mountains, making the mountains look a bit like a quilt. Behind me, the mountain peaks were white with snow. I remember being speechless and in awe of this beaty. I do not understand how anyone could see somthing as beatiful and wonderful as this and not believe in God as Creator and Savior.
After I read this book, I felt much the same way! I was in awe of these amazing wonders of the Earth.

Did you know that the Nile River is 4,145 miles long-the longest river in the world and that the Mississippi River is the fourth longest with 3,710 miles?

Did you know that Lake Baikal in Russia in the world's largest and deepest lake? In one spot it is 5,134 feet deep, which is 3,884 feet higher than the Empire State Building!

Did you know that the hottest spot on the planet is Al Aziziyah, Libya, in the Sahara where a temperature of 136F has been recorded? Or that the coldest place on the planet is Vostok, Antarctia where a recording of 129F has been recorded?

Did you know that the wettest place on Earth is Tutenendo, Colombia, where an average of 463 inches of rain falls a year, comparted to 72 inches being the height of a adult man?

The driest place in the world is the Atacama Desert in Chile where no rain has fallen for the last 400 years!

The windest spot on Earth is atop Mount Washington, in New Hampshire where the wind speed has reached 231 miles per hour compared to 150 mph being a severe hurricane wind.

The world's highest waterfall is Angel Falls, in Venezuela. It is 3212 feet high! Niagara Falls is only 180 feet tall! Wow!

What an amazing book that students will enjoy reading. They will be amazed by these interesting facts and enjoy the cut-paper collages made by Steve Jenkins.








No comments: